It is time to begin thinking about your entry for the 2019 4-H Handbook Cover Contest. The contest is open to all Saline County 4-H members. We are asking that entries be turned in to the Extension office by 4:30 p.m. on Thursday, January 31, 2019. The entry rules are:
- Submit original design on white paper only (8 X 11 inches).
- Leave 1-inch margins on all sides.
- Use ONLY black ink or black marker.
- Use the words Saline County 4-H and the year 2019 somewhere on the design.
- Put your name on the front of your entry.
- Entry should reflect 4-H in Saline County.
- If you want to use a clover in your design, we request that you use the official 4-H emblem. Contact the Extension office and we will print out a page of 4-H clovers for your use.
- One entry per 4-H member may be submitted.
- Only entries received by the deadline will be considered.
Please include your name, club, and age with your entry. Remember, not only will the winning design be the cover of our Saline County 4-H Handbook, the winner will receive a monetary prize to be awarded at Achievement Night in October. Good Luck!
Visualize Your Financial Well-Being
(The following is a special release from Kathy Sweedler, University of Illinois Extension Educator, Consumer Economics.)
The beginning of a new year is often a time to set new goals and plans, and often these goals involve money. This year let’s talk about financial goals in a little different way. Think about your financial well-being: Where are you now? Where would you like to be in the future?
Research done at the Center for Advanced Hindsight at Duke University found that many people saw financial well-being in similar ways. Specifically, seven themes emerged.
Often people talk about financial well-being around themes such as:
•Stability: don’t need to worry about finances and want to feel secure with finances
•Family: provide for family, whether take family vacations or take care of children’s future needs
•Freedom: feel like nothing is weighing them down or holding them back
•Journey: recognized positive financial well-being would be achieved through a series of steps
•Travel: to have the financial capability for luxuries like travel
•Concrete goals such as buying a car or pay off student debt
•Limitless possibilities: excitement for endless opportunities.
Does your vision of financial well-being align with any of these themes, or do you see it differently? Once you have a vision of where you’d like to be in the future, then you can start taking steps towards it!